Tires?

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
What 16" tires are people running? What load index as well.

I need 6 and there are 2 things as a mechanic i hate buying.....tires and work boots.... (they are both over priced and you just wear them out in the end)

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
I would probably look at General light truck tires. I have a set of their snow tires on my Suburban, load range E, and they are great traction, and cheap. One of their Grabber series tires might be a good fit for the GMC considering the FWD getting stuck on wet grass occasionally. They will age out before you wear them out if you rotate all 6, so I wouldn't be afraid of going with a softer compound and a bit aggressive tread like on some of the Grabbers. The Grabber HD doesn't even look that aggressive, just looks like a normal all season tire. Load range E and run them at 60-65 psi imo.

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
Oops, I misread the question and thought you were asking about 16.5. There are lots more choices in 16. One option that's very popular in the community is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Regardless, you should always use load range E. There's a pretty good discount on the Michelins through FMCA.

MikeB

Oct 26, 2019
Lower Alabama
I think a lot of folks like the Firestone Transforce as Christo mentioned. That’s what I have on my coach now from the PO. I was planning to get Michelin XPS Rib due to their durability as I was never too impressed with firestone tires. I’ve been driving crew cab long bed diesel trucks, towing farm equipment and a 37ft 5th wheel since 1996. I’ve tried quite a few LR “E“ tires. Putting light truck tires on a 11k vehicle just didn’t jive with my fondness with overkill. However when I took my maiden voyage from Northwest Montana to South Alabama I become very fond of the Firestone’s. With suspension problems along the way, LOTS of crappy pot hole roads and wide temp swings (Oct-Sept) the Firestone’s (manufacture date of 2017) held up better than I expected. Not totally sold on their rain performance yet but I still have time to test. I’m definitely done with Goodyear and Nitto. I have a set of Michelin XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel now that we’re made in 2007 They look new but I’m a little scared to touch them and waiting on my house to be finished and we move out of it before I change them out. Not sure which one I’ll go with when the time comes to change the GMC tire. Probably go with Firestone’s if they are cheaper.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The coach currently has Michelin's on it...they are weathered and i had no worries in my mind if they would make the 800 miles journey home when we bought the coach last summer. If i knew they would pass a safety inspection [i am a licensed vehicle technician) i would take my time to replace them BUT seeing as how it has to be safetied this spring, i need tires and dropping close to 2 bills on tires just is not in the cards [plus did i mention i hate buying tires....lol].

Anyone know anything about the DurAvis MD700 by Bridgestone?

MikeB

Oct 26, 2019
Lower Alabama
The coach currently has Michelin's on it...they are weathered and i had no worries in my mind if they would make the 800 miles journey home when we bought the coach last summer. If i knew they would pass a safety inspection [i am a licensed vehicle technician) i would take my time to replace them BUT seeing as how it has to be safetied this spring, i need tires and dropping close to 2 bills on tires just is not in the cards [plus did i mention i hate buying tires....lol].

Anyone know anything about the DurAvis MD700 by Bridgestone?
I hear ya. That’s one of the reasons I don’t drive a dually anymore 🤑

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
This is why I have changed to buying 2 a year in a 5 year cycle. It is easier on the heart.
This newest pair were also bead balanced and they are great.

Matt

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
LT load range E tires are overkill already, weren't they originally 60 psi D range tires? The nice thing about 16" LT E tires is they are so common / inexpensive. I've not heard anything about DurAvis Bridgestone tires. My only issue with Michelin is in my experience with them, they use a hard compound and the tread pattern is more for pavement than mud. They do wear well b/c they seem to use a pretty hard compound. I guess it depends on how many miles a year you are going to drive it but I think they will age out before you wear them out b/c of the hard compound. And every Michelin I had was absolutely pathetic in any kind of mud, totally useless in mud, which is not a good situation for the GMC motorhome.

I like the 2 tires every 2 years idea, that's what I did on a previous coach, that thing had 8 tires (fronts, dually rear, single tag axle) plus the spare and took a size which was $350 per tire, load range F. I ran them at 100psi but they were rated higher. I put two new ones on the front, drove my family all over the country one summer, and a couple spring breaks to Florida from NY, then ended up selling it to buy the GMC b/c I always wanted one, and based on our travels, weighing the pros and cons, I thought the GMC would be a better fit for us; easier to drive in wind, better mpg, easier to park in cities, just plain cool (lots of thumbs-up on the road), simpler and more minimalist than the big box. It's more about the travel and what's outside the coach and getting us there than what was inside the box keeping us separated from the outside world. So I never ended up putting a second set of tires on the previous coach, sold it, bought the GMC and put 6 new tires on it for about $1000, not much more than putting 2 tires on the other coach.

LarryW

Oct 15, 2019
Menomonie, WI.
This is a repost of something I wrote last December. Might be worth repeating.

I have put the coach on a 6 yr replacement plan. 2 tires every two years. Seems the front tires wear the fastest. Then is seems the mid axle wears next. and the rear axle is just along for the ride and wear the least. When the front wear to a point where traction may be compromised or reach 4 yrs old, I move them to mid axle. Mid axle rims get new tires and moved to the rear. Rear tires get moved to the front. Do this every two years, so I'm only laying out money for two at a time every two years. We also put on about 10 - 14 k miles every year. So by the time replace two 6yr old tires, they have between 30-42K miles on them. They have now timed out with as many miles as I can get out of them and still safely run them. This way, oldest tires are 6yrs, followed by 4 yrs and 2yrs. I've actually got one wheel...the passenger side mid axle that is slightly toed in and wears faster than all of the others. But it has become not worth the effort to correct the slight toe problem on that wheel, because the tire there times out before it is worn below the wear bars. This all works for me running Michelin Defender LTX-MS tires. If the coach will stand still for more than a couple of weeks, I tire cover them as I do not have inside storage.

The hard part is getting into that replacement management scheme. You may have to replace a set a year or two earlier or later to get the rotation right. I was able to do it when I bought an off-brand set of tires that tread separated. Two of them at two years use and another two at 4 years. Just worked out for me. The problem with off-brand tires is that they were regionally available, so when they went bad while traveling south, I was not able to get to a shop that carried the brand to make the adjustment. The one time I could get to a shop that carried them, it was far enough out of the way that it would have cost me more in gas to get there than the cost of the replacement tire. JMHO, but now I use only Michelin LTXMS, and have never had a problem with them. To me, the peace of mind is worth the extra money for the Brand Name.

I also take the best of the two 6 yr old tires and move it to the spare. Requires having same size rim on spare as the other 6 on the coach. That way the spare is never more than 8 yrs old.

FWIW, some time when you have time, take your GMCMH to a empty part of a parking lot. Stop somewhere out of the way. Then, turning the steering wheel, crank the wheel all of the way either left or right. Put coach in gear and go forward 1/4 to 1/2 of a circle. Stop, put it in park and get out and look at the 4 rear wheel/tires. It is shocking how much those bogie arms and tires bend/squirm to accommodate a turn. / | \ Front tires don't react nearly as extreme as rears. So, every time you turn a corner, you are really working those sidewalls. IMO, with that kind of squirm, this is why most blow-outs occur on the rear as those sidewalls are consistantly being bent/streatched to their limits. So, I think we need to be running a well made/engineered tire that is capable of handling this abuse. When I park my coach for the night or for that matter, any period of time, if I had just turned the wheel a little, I will point the wheels straight forward, then pull forward and back 2-3 times just to take the bend/squirm out of the tires. Just what I do. (JWID)

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys.....im going to review my tires carefully and see what i can do....my hope is to get into a routine like you guys and not have to replace all 6 at once.

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
When you are tire shopping, look at the difference between LRD and LRE. When I last looked, there was almost none and some suppliers didn't even offer an LRD.
And, If you have actually weighed the coach, you may find that LRD will be marginal on the steer wheels.

Matt

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
When you are tire shopping, look at the difference between LRD and LRE. When I last looked, there was almost none and some suppliers didn't even offer an LRD.
And, If you have actually weighed the coach, you may find that LRD will be marginal on the steer wheels.

Matt
Im just going to go with load rating "E" tires......we tend to run light when we travel but this summer, if things sort out pandemic wise, we will be in areas were water hookups dont exist so we may be heavy.

LQQKatJon

We had load range D on some delivery vans I used to have crews run back in the 90’s. Never weighed the vans, but that is what they had and what we replaced them with. But we also had random tire failures.
We decided to up to load range e tires and those random blow outs stopped.
Who knows maybe we were over rated, but I doubt it.
I am shopping for 4 for my coach this spring. Not sure what I will go with. I have transforce on now, but think maybe they ride a little rougher.

MikeB

Oct 26, 2019
Lower Alabama
We had load range D on some delivery vans I used to have crews run back in the 90’s. Never weighed the vans, but that is what they had and what we replaced them with. But we also had random tire failures.
We decided to up to load range e tires and those random blow outs stopped.
Who knows maybe we were over rated, but I doubt it.
I am shopping for 4 for my coach this spring. Not sure what I will go with. I have transforce on now, but think maybe they ride a little rougher.
Did you ever have a blowout or failure with the Transforc?

LQQKatJon

No. Tires have been on the back of the coach Since it looks like 2014: Maybe 20k miles??? They are not wore out, but I plan on a cross country mid july trip, so I want newer tires, and picked up 4 alcoas for the back.

We put transforce on most of our work trucks.

i have heard some complain they ride like a lumberwagon. So I wanted to try a different tire, but not sure that will work out.