Some Photos of my Mascerator Install....

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
When I installed the mascerator I used a 4-way plumbing stack fitting. The sweep side inlets are each connected to one of the two tanks, the outlet connects to a tee to the mascerator and straight through to the old large hose dump pipe. The straight inlet of the tee connects to a check valve and then to a female hose fitting that is hooked up to the fresh water hose. The mascerator outlet is hard piped to the DS and connected to a small flex and expandable mascerator hose which is stored in a 1-1/2" electrical conduit and elbow. A keyed waterproof switch turns the mascerator on and off.

Process is... 1) Pull the hose out and run it to the dump pipe. 2) open the BW tank and pump. 3) close the BW valve and open the GW valve and pump again. 4) Close both valves and hook up the fresh water hose. 5) flush the piping and hose. 6) store the mascerator hose and disconnect and store the fresh water hose. 7) drive away.

Here are some photos....

This shows (left to right): Fresh water inlet, Storage conduit with mascerator flex hose, hose connection to mascerator, Key switch, Old dump connection (below)
20170726_173631.jpg

This shows (left to right) Hose storage conduit (grey); Old dump pipe (below); GW tank valve (with barrel connector that connects threaded and bent 1/4" rod to handle); 4-way tee (left - tee for mascerator, Closest - GW connection, Farther - BW connection with valve and elbow to tank, Right - fresh water connection); Fresh water check valve (1" PVC, white); Above skid plate - mascerator and hose/pipe to flex hose connection.

20170726_174126.jpg

Reactions: JodyPackerfan

pvfjr

Oct 4, 2019
Aumsville OR
That looks pretty tidy, Bill. Well done, and thanks for sharing; the check valve and the freshwater connection is an especially nice touch. I'm collecting a lot of inspiring ideas around here!

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
Looks good Bill.

One comment I'd like to leave for others contemplating a macerator installation. Note that the Black Tank is fastened to the body, not to the frame. Therefore I believe that it is wise to mount the pump also to the body and not the frame. I've seen many pumps mounted on the frame, but I worry that the frame and body move a bit when traveling down the road and something has to give eventually and it won't be a nice outcome!

Just my 2 cents on the subject!

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks, all... Things are tight under there - it took a little planning and head scratching to make it all fit and work. Since that photo, I've had to replace the grey water tank and that took even more. That tank has a flexible coupling, and per Bruce's comment perhaps the black water tank should as well. There's a long run next to the GW tank that could easily be cut and fit with one.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Questions about installs before i get elbow deep into adding one.....

A: Do most standard black water drains on GMC's go out the back under the bumper?
B: if you add a macerator to the set up is it best to take the 3" tank drain out the back under the bumper?

The reason i ask is my Hughes simply has the 3" coming out of the tank to an elbow that directs it basically out bellow the generator door and that is were they put the gate valve.....simple...but if i add a macerator would it be wise to run it back to the bumper or leave it were is? Or maybe im over thinking this and it doesn't matter?

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Questions about installs before i get elbow deep into adding one.....

A: Do most standard black water drains on GMC's go out the back under the bumper?
B: if you add a macerator to the set up is it best to take the 3" tank drain out the back under the bumper?
Most I've seen drain out the back. Once you have the mascerator, you won't look back, so the 3" drain will be a nearly never used backup - unless you do some long term camping in one spot and want to have the drain in service 24/7. Then you'll get a 'stair step' support system for the hose so it slopes continuously downhill rather than pumping every few days, and the shorter the run the better so under the generator seems like a good place for it. If it were me, I'd place the mascerator on a tee as close as possible to the either the junction of the black and grey water tanks if you have two tanks, or close to the single tank. Either way, place a valve right after the mascerator in the 3" line so you don't have an 'appendix'.

Tank (or junction)
|---- >mascerator
\/
valve
\/
3" dump

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Most I've seen drain out the back. Once you have the mascerator, you won't look back, so the 3" drain will be a nearly never used backup - unless you do some long term camping in one spot and want to have the drain in service 24/7. Then you'll get a 'stair step' support system for the hose so it slopes continuously downhill rather than pumping every few days, and the shorter the run the better so under the generator seems like a good place for it. If it were me, I'd place the mascerator on a tee as close as possible to the either the junction of the black and grey water tanks if you have two tanks, or close to the single tank. Either way, place a valve right after the mascerator in the 3" line so you don't have an 'appendix'.

Tank (or junction)
|---- >mascerator
\/
valve
\/
3" dump
Yah thats what i was thinking...just simply leave things be and add the macerator off the tank... KISS is it.

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Bill's design is interesting, but the vast majority of GMCs were fit by either GMC or Gemini for the first years. They have only one tank, and the dump pipe can be let down. The structure of Bill's coach is also different. A GMC has a structural member immediately behind the black tank. The dump valve attaches to a flange that is part of the tank and there is little room to do very much there.

When misfortune has it that I am behind a macerator coach in the queue, I make sure that I have something to read. You should also know that I have a full size clean out/dump next to my drive way and most off dump at home.

As I have been paid to clear more than a few jammed up macerator pumps, and they are so slow at dumping a full tank, I don't really see the charm other seem to.

Matt

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Bill's design is interesting, but the vast majority of GMCs were fit by either GMC or Gemini for the first years. They have only one tank, and the dump pipe can be let down. The structure of Bill's coach is also different. A GMC has a structural member immediately behind the black tank. The dump valve attaches to a flange that is part of the tank and there is little room to do very much there.

When misfortune has it that I am behind a macerator coach in the queue, I make sure that I have something to read. You should also know that I have a full size clean out/dump next to my drive way and most off dump at home.

As I have been paid to clear more than a few jammed up macerator pumps, and they are so slow at dumping a full tank, I don't really see the charm other seem to.

Matt
My goal is to have them both as we plan on doing alot of stays were there is no hookups at the site ..... so i want the choice dependent on the situation more than anything. My hope is to actually not use the on board facilities unless their is no other alternatives or it is simply "yellow water" going in....lol.

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Bruce,
Here is a photo of the modification that Coachman made to the frame member to allow the black water line to pass by. You can see where the tank fitting has been repaired. If I understand your comment, Coachman installed a valve at that location.
Capture6.JPG