Rear speakers

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
Well I had an hour free time today so I thought I'd try to slap in my rear speakers. The OEM ones are horrible and so I bought some Kenwoods that I thought would fit. Not many 4x10 Choices. 20200912_102141.jpgUnfortunately it does appear they are too deep. Still some sort of a rubber gasket or something should work just wondering if you guys have done this or what you've tried to use? You can see in the pics the gap between the speaker cover and the install wall.

Attachments

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
Nothing's going to sound great in that space due to the speaker shape, the location, the depth, the flimsy panel and so on. I decided to put lights in there! If you're going for sound quality, consider a good Bluetooth speaker, ideally with aptX.

C77ADB3F-8A2C-418C-AD76-B39212765AAD.jpeg

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
If you have an early coach with grounded speakers, DON'T hook them up to a modern bridge output amplifier without pulling a new pair of wires so the speakers are no longer grounded. Modern bridged amplifiers have an output centered at 1/2 the supply voltage (approx 6 volts or higher for high output units). If you do, you will let the magic smoke out very fast.

You can cheat if you can't pull new wires by using the + speaker wire though a 1000uf capacitor with the capacitor negative end towards the speaker.

This will give you a single-ended output with the DC voltage isolated thought the capacitor, just like the good old days! but only about 5 watts of audio power.