Rear Shock Replacement

Jim (Jericho Brew)

Nov 11, 2019
Salem, NH
I'm considering replacing the rear shocks on my 26' coach. The reason I'm thinking about this is that when I hit a bump in the road the coach has a hard bang and shutter. Being winter and not having a garage I won't be doing this until the warmer weather is upon us. I've researched a bit and have found KYB KG 5436, which are reasonably priced at $31.89 on amazon. Is there anything I should be checking on before I endeavor on these replacements.

LarryW

Oct 14, 2019
Menomonie, WI.
It should be noted...if it hasn't already...when lifting, place leaf spring between bogie arms as shown in http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6509-blaze-orange-bogie-leaf-spring.html. Put the jack under the center of the bogie and lift slightly. Let all air out of the bag allowing the jack to take the weight. Use jack to lift coach until wheels are off ground and leaf spring is supporting bogie arms. SUPPORT COACH WITH JACK STANDS OR APPROPRIATE DEVICES. Do intended work. Lift coach slightly and remove supports. Let coach down to slightly below normal coach level, but not all of the way. Air up bag until it lifts the coach off of the jack to normal ride level. REMOVE LEAF SPRINGS. Failure to remove leaf springs will result in leaf spring coming in contact with the inside of the tire and may cut it open resulting in blow out and possible loss of control of vehicle.
Guys...just be careful and keep your wits about you when doing this.

LarryW

Oct 14, 2019
Menomonie, WI.
BTW, If you intend to take the wheels off, loosen the nuts holding the wheel, before you jack it up. Unless of coarse, you have an impact wrench.

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
Guys - How long of a ssection of leaf spring do I need? Not at the coach right now to measure, not seeing anyone mention how long it is. 12" ?

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
South East Michigan near DTW
Agoogol,
Mine are 3/8x3x15 and no longer fit because the anchor for the brake arms are in the way. I keep meaning to see what can be done be done about that, but the priority keeps slipping. Remember to paint it/them bright colors or attach "Remove Before Takeoff" ribbons or something. I got close, but I never bent mine by putting the air on the rear suspension.
Matt

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
Thanks Matt. Not sure what you mean by the anchor for the brake arms, but....I assume it is some modification you made. I will see about getting some, hopefully someone around Denver CO I can find for less than $40 like Jim K.

JPB

Jan 15, 2020
Definitely deflate the bags before jacking the bogie up and follow carefully the instructions provided by LarryW.

I made a set recently from a pair of used riding lawnmower blades.

Orange paint is a good idea. Having a set of two will come in handy when I get around to changing my 10 YO tires. Total length is just under 12". Slightly longer would contact the bogies sooner and require less jacking to get the wheels off the ground. I glued on some rubber cushions so they would contact the bogies sooner.

JP

Reactions: tmsnyder