prototype air scoop

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
hi u all .looking for input on my home made air scoop to improve cooling! hopefully attached images will go thru larry xpb 78/455scoop1.jpgscoop1.jpgscoop2.jpgscoop1.jpg

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Larry,

If everything is working right you should not need a air scoop to cool your engine. After 40+ years your radiator might have internal blockage preventing it form cooling efficiently. A local radiator shop can rod it out and restore it, or replace the core if too far gone.

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
JS asked my mechanic about the questions you asked,, he had use a IR temp and said that the temp was 185 to 190.. he said the analog temp gauge is wrong and it is hard to read where it is for an old fart like me. and you do not need to do the radiator. but the scoop will not hurt. and i think it looks bitchen .thanks for some good info. larry xpb 78/455

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
M going to do some testing today ! will tape 6 inch strings all over the front.. and then photograph at verious speeds to see what is happening to air flow will keep u posted of results larry xpb 78/455

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
JS asked my mechanic about the questions you asked,, he had use a IR temp and said that the temp was 185 to 190.. he said the analog temp gauge is wrong and it is hard to read where it is for an old fart like me. and you do not need to do the radiator. but the scoop will not hurt. and i think it looks bitchen .thanks for some good info. larry xpb 78/455
You are well within normal operating range

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
air scoop tests( my comments) 1 need more tell tales especially the bottom edge. 2 use a tri pod to get same angle. 3 take more shots per pass. 4 looks like some air flow is redirected, 5 cant be sure if temp is down ! more testing . it did not tear of although it is designed to break away if it hit something .thanks for looking larry xpb 78/455 images at 35. 45 ,55 mphgmc35.jpggmc35.jpggmc45.jpggmc35.jpggmc45.jpggmc55.jpg

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Thats gonna scoop air like crazy but its also going to scoop everything else (bugs, rocks, sand etc) so youll need rad protection and an easy way to clean it.

Be careful how much "scoop" it has or you may actually cool things to much. (Ie: fall/spring evening)

Also you need a way to contain that air so make sure you seal the sides of the rad vertically from each side of that scoop or the air is mainly gonna spill over the top side....thing of the whole thing as a big ram air.

Keep it up!! Good to see people playing with ideas....someday ill quite procrastinating.....lol.

Reactions: tmsnyder

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
6 cuda. i left the sides open a little to allow what i think of as excess air to escape. going to monitor bugs temp etc. have installed an expanded aluminum deflector to protect the rad's core. thanks for the input many ideas make more ideas larry (6 month anniversary) of 78/455 xpb

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
What cuda said.

Usually you see rock screen guards down there for that reason, a scoop is going to increase the likelihood of taking out the radiator.

Thats gonna scoop air like crazy but its also going to scoop everything else (bugs, rocks, sand etc) so youll need rad protection and an easy way to clean it.

Be careful how much "scoop" it has or you may actually cool things to much. (Ie: fall/spring evening)

Also you need a way to contain that air so make sure you seal the sides of the rad vertically from each side of that scoop or the air is mainly gonna spill over the top side....thing of the whole thing as a big ram air.

Keep it up!! Good to see people playing with ideas....someday ill quite procrastinating.....lol.