My 76 Eleganza II build

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
This is my 1976 Elleganza II - Starting from the top down. Plan to totally strip & restart roof. New fans, vents, seals, drip rails - everything. The drip rails are really something, tedious does not really describe this well. Only had two screws give me trouble. grinded heads off removed rail vicegrip, and paciently wiggled back & forth - litterally did this for 10-15 min's each. Do you guys have any chemical or other suggestions for cleaning/stripping the crud? I also included a few pic's of removing stripping. Sorry to the purists but I never cared for them. Warmed up the panel with infrared lights Not too hot or chemicals flash off too fast) then sprayed Goof Off graffiti remover lightly on the surface and flooded a scotch pad 320 grit (Could have used a much less aggressive grit) Came right off - panel buff out nicely

Attachments

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
Looks good. I wish I could move mine to Indoor storage. If I did that, I'd have to move all my tools too. It may be worth it.

Reactions: JodyPackerfan

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Why did you put tubing in the floor if you are in Mexico ? LOL Does it dip down into the 40s sometimes :)

Beautiful setup!

No need to apologize, reminds me of a joke about a guy that goes to a Priest to confess fooling around with a married woman, going into great detail about all their exploits. The Priest forgives him and orders him to do 5 Hail Mary's and so and so, the guy says 'oh, but I'm not Catholic'. The Priest says 'then why did you tell me all that ?' and the guy says 'I'm telling everyone!' I'd show off your garage too if I had it!

Yeah... sorry... to make matters worse, we are in Mexico to escape the snow and cold. Its nice and warm in the shop... well 12C and I'm not even working on the coach

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
To clarify, we are from the Great White North, so The Murray is in its nice heated shop. But we are in Mexico for the winter to escape the cold! So I'm not even taking advantage of the shop to work on The Murray. I gave Paula some space to refinish some furniture. She expropriated the rest of the shop. so now my Man Cave has become a She-Shed. :sick:

There is a dog in the pic below trying to find his way out!

from BB-Key Feb 2020 624.jpg

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
To clarify, we are from the Great White North, so The Murray is in its nice heated shop. But we are in Mexico for the winter to escape the cold! So I'm not even taking advantage of the shop to work on The Murray. I gave Paula some space to refinish some furniture. She expropriated the rest of the shop. so now my Man Cave has become a She-Shed. :sick:

View attachment 2248
BUMMER - -you have to get that under control ASAP :)

Mike_H

Oct 3, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
mikehiler.wixsite.com

View attachment 2248
Wow. My wife an I have a similar arrangement. 24 x 30 heated barn, with an attic. The deal was that the boat (which has been replaced with a jeep) is stored indoors and we would both have workshop space. However, her furniture took over the whole attic, which pushed my stuff to the main level and now we don't both have room for projects, we have to schedule time.

Reactions: JodyPackerfan

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
Bad installation at the factory - the sealant pushed up the panels in many places that were actually keeping the drip rail to fit in the slot - in many places factory sealant was in the actual track - these spots where never seated properly from new - had to dig a lot of crud from behind panels so I could tuck them back in where they where supposed to be - only had to drill & tap one screwIMG_8324.JPGIMG_8333.JPGIMG_8325.JPGIMG_8328.JPGIMG_8332.JPGIMG_8336.JPGIMG_8339.JPG

Last edited:

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
Thank You - Yah the engineering was exceptional but most GM products in the 70's where not assembled very well. The fit and finish of that decade at GM is notorious for being bad. I guess we have to expect that of our 70's rig :)

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
IMG_9378.JPGIMG_9375.JPGIMG_9374.JPGIMG_9378.JPGThe quality of original install was abysmal, 'gouge hole hammer in the sides and glue down'. There where hunks of sheet metal from original install sticking out in every direction

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
IMG_9441.JPGI didn't originally plan to replace with LED's but the state of the originals where too far gone - I'll try to post night time photo's with new LED's when they are installed

Last edited:

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
IMG_9637.JPGstarting the 4 bag upgradeIMG_9643.JPGIMG_9644.JPGIMG_9662.JPGThis back plate is a real challenge especially the passenger side where the 3" muffler pipe blocks any view of the back of bolts, not to mention lying on the ice cold cement :)