My 1974 Gmc Trailer build Thread

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
I've been sanding the patches on the front where the tail lights were and plate and also a water inlet was and having issues getting the patch without holes in it, so i've decided to cut them out (yeah waste of time and materials) put a metal backing on them (.032) and then patch them over again

Attachments

gmc260

Oct 3, 2019
hi davidlive,

love it man! what material did you use to replace the back (now front) window? look forward to watching your progress on it here.

Reactions: davidlive

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
hi davidlive,

love it man! what material did you use to replace the back (now front) window? look forward to watching your progress on it here.
That was a fiberglass insert that i got from another gmc'er but it sticks out from the window roughly 1/8 of a inch and i was going to fill the inside of it with filler and sand it down smooth, but i think a better way to handle the closing of the window will be to fit a metal sheet of .032 or .064 aluminum and then build it up with filler material which i plan on doing instead of what you currently see (i plan on doing that to the other piece before tearing that one out)

David

Last edited:

gmc260

Oct 3, 2019
That was a fiberglass insert that i got from another gmc'er but it sticks out from the window roughly 1/8 of a inch and i was going to fill the inside of it with filler and sand it down smooth, but i think a better way to handle the closing of the window will be to fit a metal sheet of .032 or .064 aluminum and then build it up with filler material which i plan on doing instead of what you currently see (i plan on doing that to the other piece before tearing that one out)

David
this 'fiberglass insert' is something made for the GMC? Ive been thinking of using a fiberglass sheet made in plys (sandwich). could be roped in just like the glass or made slightly over sized but still fit inside the lip/edge but bolted in place and then a fake gasket used for appearance. just an idea Ive been kicking around, I like the big glass but it really limits the options on a custom interior build.

Reactions: davidlive

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
this 'fiberglass insert' is something made for the GMC? Ive been thinking of using a fiberglass sheet made in plys (sandwich). could be roped in just like the glass or made slightly over sized but still fit inside the lip/edge but bolted in place and then a fake gasket used for appearance. just an idea Ive been kicking around, I like the big glass but it really limits the options on a custom interior build.
It was something custom made for them, it just doesn't fit the way i would like it too.

This is how i'll tackle it some .032 aluminum and square tubing and some spacers in some areas under the metal so i don't have to use a ton of body filler and the inside will later be spray foamed at some point in the future

it will leave me enough room to build up body filler on it to match the coach, of course i'll have to build some spacers around it and then kitty hair and 3m panel glue it in place

Just some rough photos of it so far

David

Attachments

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
Nice work, I'm hoping to see the picture of this pulled by a GMC with matching paint?
that's the goal, will be several years down the road though as the gmc pulling it needs it's own build thread, it's a 78 royal, but the inside is partly removed due to damage (no bathroom, refrigerator) and lots of wood damage due to leaks.

Attachments

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
Wasn't happy with how the patch was working out where the tail lights were and such, was having issues with holes around the edges , so i cut it all out and put metal behind it, and started patching again, it's working out way better, lesson learned

Attachments

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
Hey David sweet project!
Not that it matters now I suppose but I think the better option there would have been to use fiberglass mat sheeting over the whole area rather than using that much filler, although it looks like you put fiber in it which should help. I just worry that down the road it's going to want to separate and you may end up with fine cracks under your paint. It's always tough on curved stuff!

If you haven't done the other side yet you could cut 2 or 3 pieces of thick mat to fit in the hole, feather the edges out a bit more on the body for more bonding area and lay them in there with some overlay using an SMC specific resin and end up with a repair as strong as original. Then use a light layer of filler to get all the imperfections smooth.

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
Hey , thanks for the info. the stuff i'm using is ever-coat kitty hair, long hair reinforcement, the stuff is super strong, if you see in my profile pic i did close it up without any backing using it you can hit it and your hurt your hand way before it breaks or cracks, when i cut it out i tested how strong it was i could stand on the curve of it on the ground, took me jumping onto it to break it, but smc would break just like that.

the other side won't be using nearly as much filler as i got the metal backing much closer and it's not as big of a hole as that side was.

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
Evercoat is great stuff I'm sure it will be fine. It's just always been my experience to patch with the same substrate as the hole that way they have the same flex, give, thermal expansion etc so you don't see any issues down the road.

Keep updating this thread it's going to be fun to follow along and the end result should be killer!

davidlive

Oct 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
i hired a welder to (AC) tig what you see there the stuff that is 1/8" thick which is what i made that cage support out of , what i'll post in a bit on the hinges and upper support was mig spolled cause it's 1/4" to 1/2" thick