Intelli-Power

bdub

Oct 8, 2019
Lake Brownwood, Texas
www.bdub.net
You actually need to power a Sub Panel with your inverter output. That's what I did so that I could just power the house outlets and bypass the water heater and microwave oven. The sub panel can be right beside the original AC panel. Google "sub panel". Lots of help there.

I put my 1kw Xantrex Pure Sine Inverter right above the batteries, beneath my permanent bed which I can raise up to expose room for many spares built from 1x6 lumber.

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
You actually need to power a Sub Panel with your inverter output. That's what I did so that I could just power the house outlets and bypass the water heater and microwave oven. The sub panel can be right beside the original AC panel. Google "sub panel". Lots of help there.

I put my 1kw Xantrex Pure Sine Inverter right above the batteries, beneath my permanent bed which I can raise up to expose room for many spares built from 1x6 lumber.
Billy,

Would you happen to have any pics of this fantastic installation? A picture is worth a thousand words!

I plan on leaving the back bed as is for awhile. So I plan on mounting mine in the closet, with cable going back behind the bed/couch and down and out right next to the little service light in the battery compartment to the battery. Then the AC bits through the wall to the electrical cabinet. I know you are not supposed to store anything in there but looks like there should be just the right amount of room to keep a meter, extra fuses and light bulbs for the coach in that spot so most electrcal bits and pieces are all together.

PAUL VAILLANCOURT

Aug 10, 2020
Has anyone installed a SUG 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter...I want to use it to power my Nespresso Coffee Maker and I was thinking my electric water heater while I am driving.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
That would be a lot of current draw on your alternator, I'd be afraid of cooking it and leaving you on the side of the road. 1200W at 12v is 100 amps pulled from the OEM alternator which is only an 85 amp alternator. Add in the inefficiency of the inverter and the draw is even higher.

The coffee maker, maybe, that's only 5-10 minutes, but the hot water tank is going to be much longer to heat up.

I used to have 2-100W Renogy solar panels on the roof of a previously owned SOB and used a Xantrex 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter to backfeed the shore power plug. I put the inverter right next to the house battery and ran an extension cord to the shore power cord. It would power a dorm size fridge continuously (100w draw, 50w average) for dry camping and full size oscillating fans while driving, it was quite handy. Heating water is a whole different ball game though! It couldn't even heat a cup of coffee in the microwave, it would trip the breaker on the inverter after a minute or so.

Last edited:

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
South East Michigan near DTW
Has anyone installed a SUG 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter...I want to use it to power my Nespresso Coffee Maker and I was thinking my electric water heater while I am driving.
Paul,

Why don't you run the coolant lines back to the water heater and then you have hot water when you stop. And, if your tank insulation is as good as mine, hot water enough for the morning shower too.

Matt

PAUL VAILLANCOURT

Aug 10, 2020
Paul,

Why don't you run the coolant lines back to the water heater and then you have hot water when you stop. And, if your tank insulation is as good as mine, hot water enough for the morning shower too.

Matt
Hi Matt, the existing water heater was leaking and I decided to remove it and abandon it. I used the space to increase the cabinet size in the bathroom. I installed a 2 gallon electric wall hung unit in the back are under the bed. It is located where the potable water storage tank was located. I moved the water storage tank across the back of the motorhome parallel to the back window. It all works very well.

PAUL VAILLANCOURT

Aug 10, 2020
well, I finally purchased a 12vdc to 120vac 2000W inverter, 4000w peak power. That will be next weekends project. Will let everyone know how it all works out.