Inexpensive mass loaded vinyl (MLV) sound barrier for cockpit floor (like Dynamat)

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
I'm redoing my cockpit carpet and was looking for some Dynamat-type material to reduce noise coming up through the floor. The material, called mass loaded vinyl is available in 1/8" or 1/4" thickness (weighing 1lb or 2lb per square foot respectively). The best deal I could find online, with free shipping, is here. And, it's 4.5' wide so it covers the whole cockpit from front to back (51")

pvfjr

Oct 4, 2019
Aumsville OR
Thanks for sharing. I'm not familiar with the sound transmission classes (they claim 26, whatever that means). Do Dynamat and others use the same rating system? Anyone know what they rank, or how this is measured?

Edit: Never mind, there's a Wikipedia page for that (of course). It's a good read too. It seems placing a sound source in an enclosure of this stuff would have roughly the same effect as popping in some light duty ear plugs. That's not bad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_transmission_class

Reactions: Christo

SteveW

Oct 11, 2019
That is WAY less expensive than what I paid for a large roll of MLV.

I lined the interior of the side panels before installing speakers - and have intentions of lining the entire cockpit floor.

Nice find.

Steve W
1973. 23. Southern California