I can't believe there's no "GMC Engine Options?" thread LOL

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Or, you can contact Dave Lenzi and ask if he can build you up an 8.1. He has to make special oil pans and rework the RFB (rear face of block) to make it work. This is not a cheap update.
Matt

Reactions: tmsnyder

JBurt

Oct 8, 2019
Fresno. CA.
What's the difference between an Olds Toronado engine and tranny and the GMC? There seems to be no shortage of running Toro's for sale out there.
Toronado 455 - Off the top of my head, there are a number of differences.
Eng: Cam, intake manifold, carb, distr (timing curve), exhaust manfolds.
Trans: numerous internal changes to beef it up. You can check with Manny for details.

Nothing that can't be replaced but they are not just drop-ins and get the same performance.

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
BTW .... the newest Fiat Ducato TurboDiesel, gets stronger crankshaft and bearings, starting with the 160 HP and 180 HP engines, almost 400 Nm of Torx and > 400 Nm for the 180 HP two stage TurboDiesels, and available with the all new ZF, 9-Speed Automatic transmission, much better then the till now used 6 speed robotic auto transmission.

as I hear, ProMaster, which base in fact by FCA was based on the Fiat Ducato, only does offer 6 cylinder gas engines ...
in my opinion the old 150 and 180 HP TurboDiesels with 6-Speed Stickshift already would not have a problem with the weight of the GMC, the newer ones even less ...

ok ..l much towing would be a problem perhaps, but ... all is possible.

bye Daniel
I wonder if that ZF 9 speed is ever going to make its way into the US.

Daniel

Oct 9, 2019
Landgraaf, the Netherlands
Mike,
... all road testers with this new ZF Transmission were very impressed by the smooth and powerful way the automatic transmission performed .... but to be honest ... I didn’t expect less from ZF ...

Info about 9 Speed ZF auto transmission Fiat Ducato

BTW ALKO and Fiat also actively working on a hybride MH, front wheel drive Diesel engine, on the back electric drive from ALKO developed....

I wonder if that ZF 9 speed is ever going to make its way into the US.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Lots of ZF transaxles under Volkswagen Passats including the W8....now that would be a swap.....big power from that motor.

The bottom line is you could make anything work but its the longevity......sure the current setup is antiquated but its was built when fuel economy wasnt mandated at 35mpg like today requiring things to be engineered on the edge of failure.

You could take a 455 and push it to big power....for what...you'll just spin the tires off the thing (aka JimK's twin turbo).

You want to go out to the fringe? Electric with e-drive hubs at all wheels.....so 6 wheel drive in the current config with a operating range of 300 miles or so.....or as i said before hydrogen fuel cell electric.....sheesh you could even cheat and go direct drive to the diff instead of drive hubs and not really change to much.

pvfjr

Oct 4, 2019
Aumsville OR
Or, you can contact Dave Lenzi and ask if he can build you up an 8.1. He has to make special oil pans and rework the RFB (rear face of block) to make it work. This is not a cheap update.
Matt
Wait, someone made a 496 fit? I like 496s... Have one in our pickup. 😁 It gets mileage as bad as our motorhome driving empty, and that's with a 5-speed! Oh, but the torque and the rumble... Worth it.

Is there a build thread for that somewhere?
What I'd really like to see is someone outfitting an Allison with a chain and final drive. That'd be trick.

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
No, there is no build thread anywhere. Dave does not have the time in his life to manage doing that much extra work. Be aware that he is a true wizard. He has owned a GMC for a long time, and when I sees a part that could have been better, he makes it better. That is why so many of us have Lenzi knuckles. Many of us are try to find out what the service life of his front bearings are, but so far 100k plus is very solid.
I did mention that he has to remake the oil pan to pass the right drive axle, and modify the RFB to pull this off, and that is just to get the engine in the frame.
Matt

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
No, there is no build thread anywhere. Dave does not have the time in his life to manage doing that much extra work. Be aware that he is a true wizard. He has owned a GMC for a long time, and when I sees a part that could have been better, he makes it better. That is why so many of us have Lenzi knuckles. Many of us are try to find out what the service life of his front bearings are, but so far 100k plus is very solid.
I did mention that he has to remake the oil pan to pass the right drive axle, and modify the RFB to pull this off, and that is just to get the engine in the frame.
Matt
The 8.1L is cool but with a few tricks you can build an Olds, either 455 or a stroked 495 that has all the coil near plug ignition, port injection, etc...that the Chevy has without the adapter plate. I don't know if it would more or less work and/or expense.