Genset Options

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
Does anyone know why there are not any inverter generators available for built in install in a MH?

Recap:
Originally had the Onan 6K, it failed on me several times so I replaced it with a EV6010 Honda.

The Honda runs fine but it gets hot and shuts down when it's 100+ outside and we're parked (when I f***ing need it to run the AC's) It's also loud. Maybe it's not by some peoples standards but by mine it's too loud. Even with my dual muffler setup I prefer not to run it when parked near others if I can avoid it.

For building my house I bought a Predator 3500 Inverter from HF and holy hell is it awesome. Electric start, and damn near silent. You can sit on top of it and have a whisper conversation without an issue.
Inverters have a few advantages, primarily they can run at variable RPM, so with little load it idles at low RPM and is even quieter, when the load increases the RPM's do too. This helps with both noise and fuel consumption.

From my research there's only 1 inverter available for fixed install HERE it's a Dometic TEC 29/60 and not available in the states.

So what gives? What am I missing? There has to be a reason there aren't any available.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
The industry catters to demand which is set by the coachwork companies yada yada yada......short answer is they want you to burn fuel so nothing in this "hobby industry" is efficient. (A/c, fridges, heaters etc).

Mark

Oct 6, 2019
MS Gulf Coast
I am going to try a Champion 3400 inverter , I know their reliability is not as good as Honda but only way a Honda will work is to parallel two 2200’s . That means pull rope starting x2 . I will fabricate a slide out for maintenance and to run while parked if I have a high temp problem. I plan on adding a vent and electric fan, I have already raised my box 3” to match the height of the propane box , which gives me almost 20”.

Attachments

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
I'm with you Justin. I have the same Honda and I'm not thrilled with the noise. Not bad, not great. I'm afraid you probably won't see a lot of progress on this front because of a few things. First of all, the cost of lithium packs is going down quickly. The RV industry is really trying to push with all electric coaches with large lithium packs, even big enough to run air conditioners. Most big (high dollar RVs) don't boondock much, so they go from campsite to campsite and while on the road, their alternators, or two alternators will be able to power A/C units. Smaller class b's are starting to come out with second alternators available that put out as much as my Honda ev6010. That means they can just start (or auto-start) their small quiet engines and recharge big battery packs.

There are guys who have made their Honda quiet with a few tricks. Apparently it is the fans that make a lot of the noise and not the exhaust. I may look into some of that when mine goes back in. I've also been looking at the Onan 5500 EFI, but it is big bucks.

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
I'm with you Justin. I have the same Honda and I'm not thrilled with the noise. Not bad, not great. I'm afraid you probably won't see a lot of progress on this front because of a few things. First of all, the cost of lithium packs is going down quickly. The RV industry is really trying to push with all electric coaches with large lithium packs, even big enough to run air conditioners. Most big (high dollar RVs) don't boondock much, so they go from campsite to campsite and while on the road, their alternators, or two alternators will be able to power A/C units. Smaller class b's are starting to come out with second alternators available that put out as much as my Honda ev6010. That means they can just start (or auto-start) their small quiet engines and recharge big battery packs.

There are guys who have made their Honda quiet with a few tricks. Apparently it is the fans that make a lot of the noise and not the exhaust. I may look into some of that when mine goes back in. I've also been looking at the Onan 5500 EFI, but it is big bucks.
Yep it seems to be a combo of the fans and just mechanical engine noise with no surround to contain it.
Have any links to quieting the fan noise?

I may end up with the QG5500 as I've got a buddy that works for Cummins and can probably use his one discount per year

gmc260

Oct 3, 2019
Our EV6010 doesnt seem to be that loud but havnt slept on it or had a running Onan to compare it too. it has the correct OEM Honda muffler attached to it but PO had to enlarge the big hole in the frame slightly for clearance for it to fit. nothing major but does yours all have the Honda muffler?

LQQKatJon

I installed a honda thisnyear. Have been having some issues keeping it going and it is currently not working. (Starter again(had starter fail and had it rebuilt in July)?- need to take it out to test further).

Honda is loud... when you compare to a honda inverter. I have a honda muffler on it.

I am going to give the honda another chance, before I replace it with a similar noisey onan 2800 microlite.

I do plan on welding up a hitch platform to haul a honda inverter or champion. Ugly, but will allow me to place it a distance from coach if needed. And will always have backup if needed.

I can get by only running 1 A/C. But I dont want to yet.

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
Yep it seems to be a combo of the fans and just mechanical engine noise with no surround to contain it.
Have any links to quieting the fan noise?

I may end up with the QG5500 as I've got a buddy that works for Cummins and can probably use his one discount per year
Nothing specific. I've just been reading various forums on quieting the generator. Multiple and different mufflers, remote locating the radiator fan, etc... I think a more soundproof generator box would help.

LQQKatJon

Nothing specific. I've just been reading various forums on quieting the generator. Multiple and different mufflers, remote locating the radiator fan, etc... I think a more soundproof generator box would help.

I put sound proofing in the compartment when I installed the ev6010. It helped a little, but nothing significant. You can’t completely soundproof the compartment because you still have the air intake wide open.

I have no issues with the sound while driving. But being parked with engine off and no other noise the generator is louder the. i would want to be near or listen to.

The original onan is a little better. But still wont find me running one while I am parked around others or having to be near it.

I am working at window tint/shades and insulation. Hoping I do not need to rely on A/C BTU’s as much.

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
I put sound proofing in the compartment when I installed the ev6010. It helped a little, but nothing significant. You can’t completely soundproof the compartment because you still have the air intake wide open.

I have no issues with the sound while driving. But being parked with engine off and no other noise the generator is louder the. i would want to be near or listen to.

The original onan is a little better. But still wont find me running one while I am parked around others or having to be near it.

I am working at window tint/shades and insulation. Hoping I do not need to rely on A/C BTU’s as much.
Although the decibel level is similar with the Honda, the RPM is 2x the Onan, so the frequency is different and more annoying in my opinion.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I havent had a chance to run mine yet but i get the feeling the generator door being fiberglass doesnt help much......im.womdering if one was to sound proof the door properly if that would not make it an echo box.

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
Mine is very well soundproofed. The whole compartment is lined with sound deadening mat. Inside it's fine, but outside it still sucks. The outer fiberglass door is also lined in sound deadener. I also run 2 mufflers.

I just hate being the guy with the annoying loud generator. The double mufflers helped a lot but i'm still not OK with it.

MikeB

Oct 26, 2019
Lower Alabama
Ok this might be BS but I remember someone making his Briggs motor extremely quiet by extending his tailpipe to 10’ from rear to front of his 5th wheel. It supposedly helped tremendously well.

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Mine is very well soundproofed. The whole compartment is lined with sound deadening mat. Inside it's fine, but outside it still sucks. The outer fiberglass door is also lined in sound deadener. I also run 2 mufflers.

I just hate being the guy with the annoying loud generator. The double mufflers helped a lot but i'm still not OK with it.
Ill have to wait and see how it sounds and work from there......ill keep you posted....lol.

cdamen

Oct 5, 2019
I have the Honda 6010 and find it noisy when parked. I am going to try sound insulation on the fiber glass door. Hope it helps some.

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
Still running the Onan 6Kw here. Has anyone tried a "Genturi" exhaust extension to carry the exhaust and noise above the coach?

Seems like a good idea and gets the stinky exhaust away too

Reactions: David Guilbault

JBurt

Oct 8, 2019
Fresno. CA.
Still running the Onan 6Kw here. Has anyone tried a "Genturi" exhaust extension to carry the exhaust and noise above the coach?

Seems like a good idea and gets the stinky exhaust away too

Onan 6000 - I have a 20' stainless flex line I run out the shop door. It gets rid of the fumes and what exhaust sounds there are but most of the noise (90%?)is engine noise. Plans are to re-insulate/sound proof the compartment but I don't expect a lot of relief.