Furnace replacement.

JR Williams

Oct 3, 2019
I think I want to replace my Suburban Furnace with something new. It's original and not working so no love lost.
Thinking of radiant heating maybe. Thoughts?
I know it's a fairly small unit but smaller the better for my Birchaven.

Thanks

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
Electric radiant heat will not give you enough Btu’s to actually heat the coach. It will make the floor nice to walk on however.

Unless you replace your AC unit(s) with heat pumps, nothing will output heat quite like the propane furnace.

JR Williams

Oct 3, 2019
Electric radiant heat will not give you enough Btu’s to actually heat the coach. It will make the floor nice to walk on however.

Unless you replace your AC unit(s) with heat pumps, nothing will output heat quite like the propane furnace.
Was thinking the same after some research. Think I may just rebuild the Suburban.

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin

I'm new to RV world so sorry if this is a stupid question; do the roof mounted units heat the coach just as well as well as the propane furnaces? Also do they loose any coolig ability by being multi functional? - Sure would give you more storage where the suburban was

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
The short answer is no. The heater in the roof units is stuck with ~1500W = 5100BTU. That is about enough to take the chill off a 40° day. If you have 50 amp and can run 2 you are only good to about 30°F. The typical heater in a 26' is 30K BTU.

Matt

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
I'm new to RV world so sorry if this is a stupid question; do the roof mounted units heat the coach just as well as well as the propane furnaces? Also do they loose any coolig ability by being multi functional? - Sure would give you more storage where the suburban was
They make units that are true heat pumps that provide adequate heating and cooling. They work well until the ambient temp starts approaching freezing, and then they don't work very well. The heat pumps are still rated for the same 13,500 btu or 15,000 btu while in AC mode. The gas furnace works well at any temp.

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
They make units that are true heat pumps that provide adequate heating and cooling. They work well until the ambient temp starts approaching freezing, and then they don't work very well. The heat pumps are still rated for the same 13,500 btu or 15,000 btu while in AC mode. The gas furnace works well at any temp.
Thanks Mike - very helpful! Cheers

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
THANKS for the note - Very helpful. Looks like research into the best LP replacements is in order. What have you guys used to replace the suburbans? This is at least one thing I'll spend big bucks to get the best :)