Fuel line and transmission hoses

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

tyhardiman

Oct 13, 2019
Mike Perez we haven't met but I appreciate your contributions to the community and the way you build things. I'm re-plumbing fuel & trans lines. I'm planning on using AN fittings with flexible hose for the short runs, and Ni-Copp with inverted flare for the long runs. Fuel injected @ 15 PSI.

Question for Mike and others: When making fuel line with AN fittings, is there a brand/type of hose & fittings that you prefer? I've seen recommendations / requirements to brand-match the hose and fittings. Was that a Summit/Jegs purchase or did you use the local hot-rod store? Did you consider using industrial hose with JIC fittings from the supply house? Did you use the same hose for your transmission flexible lines?

Thanks in advance.
Ty

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
Hey Ty. I'm glad I saw this. On an unrelated note....if you put the @ sign in front of somebody's user name like @tyhardiman, they will get an alert message.

On the side of town I live on, we have two Hot Rod shops. Both carry AN fittings. One carries SRP brand and the other carries RedHorse Performance. I have used both and have basically found no difference except variations in color. Since I'm not going for show-car type look, I didn't really care that they didn't all match. I also bought some AN to hose barb fittings from Summit I believe.

On my power steering pump hoses, I did use some JIC fittings from NAPA. They say back in the day, the tolerances on the JIC fittings were less than what you get from AN, but apparently that isn't the case anymore. Those hoses are just Gates power steering rubber hoses.

I haven't done my fuel lines yet, but on the Trans cooler lines, I just used aluminum line from the the local shop. It was cheap and easy to shape. Cool trick is to drill a hole through a 2x4 just big enough for the line and pull it through. It straightens the line right up. The most important thing is the tool. You need good flares. It is imperative. I can't recommend highly enough the tool from Rigid.

Rigid Flare Tool

It has a clutch that pops when you've tightened it enough. It also rotates smoothly as it flares to make everything perfect unlike some of the cheap ones. The braided hose I used is rated for transmission lines. I got that from the local shop too. They make hose that is not metal braided and it's probably easier on your hands. I just like the abrasion resistance of the braided hose. For the fuel lines, I'd use as much metal as I could except for the ends where you need the flex.

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
Hey Ty. I'm glad I saw this. On an unrelated note....if you put the @ sign in front of somebody's user name like @tyhardiman, they will get an alert message.

On the side of town I live on, we have two Hot Rod shops. Both carry AN fittings. One carries SRP brand and the other carries RedHorse Performance. I have used both and have basically found no difference except variations in color. Since I'm not going for show-car type look, I didn't really care that they didn't all match. I also bought some AN to hose barb fittings from Summit I believe.

On my power steering pump hoses, I did use some JIC fittings from NAPA. They say back in the day, the tolerances on the JIC fittings were less than what you get from AN, but apparently that isn't the case anymore. Those hoses are just Gates power steering rubber hoses.

I haven't done my fuel lines yet, but on the Trans cooler lines, I just used aluminum line from the the local shop. It was cheap and easy to shape. Cool trick is to drill a hole through a 2x4 just big enough for the line and pull it through. It straightens the line right up. The most important thing is the tool. You need good flares. It is imperative. I can't recommend highly enough the tool from Rigid.

Rigid Flare Tool

It has a clutch that pops when you've tightened it enough. It also rotates smoothly as it flares to make everything perfect unlike some of the cheap ones. The braided hose I used is rated for transmission lines. I got that from the local shop too. They make hose that is not metal braided and it's probably easier on your hands. I just like the abrasion resistance of the braided hose. For the fuel lines, I'd use as much metal as I could except for the ends where you need the flex.
Oh man this needs a youtube video! I think we could make you a star Mike. I guarantee you would be more watchable than some others....

Also, I do need to get thise power steering hoses, have a part # by chance? I know its probably in the Parts Intercgange etc but you are so damn organized you probably have it right at your fingertips!

Mike Perez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 2, 2019
Oh man this needs a youtube video! I think we could make you a star Mike. I guarantee you would be more watchable than some others....

Also, I do need to get thise power steering hoses, have a part # by chance? I know its probably in the Parts Intercgange etc but you are so damn organized you probably have it right at your fingertips!
I don't because I have a different style of pump on the serpentine drive and I also have hydroboost and the electric wiper conversion. I had to make all new hoses.