Electro Level 1 vs Electro Level 2...who am I?

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

kentexian

May 17, 2020
Hello all! I am trying to determine which wiring diagram I should be using.

1978 Kingsley VIN TZE168V100---. If my research is correct my coach was 271/689 for that year. According to my maintenance manual electro-level 1 ran from Dec '77 through Jan '78, electro-level 2 from Feb '78 until the end of production. Since my production number is dang near in the middle I have no idea which I have, is there an easy way to tell?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
This is possibly simple. Does the panel at the driver's left elbow say Electo-LevelII or no? That is one answer that I am told was undependable.
Look in floor level cabinet just forward of the Closet. Is there is a little air pump and a collection of valves in there? That is Electro - Level.
The other thing is to look under the port (left) side of the back bed. Close to the Closet. Are there two air pumps in there? That is ELII
Now, come back and tell us what you found.
Matt

Reactions: kentexian

kentexian

May 17, 2020
This is possibly simple. Does the panel at the driver's left elbow say Electo-LevelII or no? That is one answer that I am told was undependable.
Look in floor level cabinet just forward of the Closet. Is there is a little air pump and a collection of valves in there? That is Electro - Level.
The other thing is to look under the port (left) side of the back bed. Close to the Closet. Are there two air pumps in there? That is ELII
Now, come back and tell us what you found.
Matt
Matt,
Thanks for the reply! My old girl just says Electro-level on the side panel. I had the blue GMC air compressor in the hall closet cabinet and nothing on the left side of the back bed associated with the air suspension...given those three I am fairly confident that I have elctro-level...whattaya think? I guess that means likely as not my coach was manufactured prior to Feb of '78?
Thanks again!
Jeremy

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Yours is a very early production '78. There were 1,879 GMCs built in 1978. You can check you parts label in the glove box and it will have a six digit date code at the top.

This is ElectroLevel
IMG_5542.jpg

Reactions: kentexian

bdub

Oct 8, 2019
Lake Brownwood, Texas
www.bdub.net
Heed these fellow's knowledge, Kentexian.

That VIN is not in the registry.

For the purpose of locating and keeping track of all Classic GMC Motorhomes. There are currently over 8400 GMCs accounted for.
Please fill out and submit the online form at www.gmcmhregistry.com

* Note about the Build Date of your GMC: From the decal on the inside of the glove box door - look for a number on the top line just left of center, similar to "032174". The example indicates the build date as March 21st, 1974. *

Thank you
Billy Massey
The GMC Motorhome Registry

kentexian

May 17, 2020
Heed these fellow's knowledge, Kentexian.

That VIN is not in the registry.

For the purpose of locating and keeping track of all Classic GMC Motorhomes. There are currently over 8400 GMCs accounted for.
Please fill out and submit the online form at www.gmcmhregistry.com

* Note about the Build Date of your GMC: From the decal on the inside of the glove box door - look for a number on the top line just left of center, similar to "032174". The example indicates the build date as March 21st, 1974. *

Thank you
Billy Massey
The GMC Motorhome Registry
Hi Billy,
I followed the link and didn't see that there was a search option, who is able to access/query the registry?
Thanks,
Jeremy

kentexian

May 17, 2020
My coach only has one sticker inside the glovebox detailing tire pressures. There is no build information sticker there. There is a VIN sticker on the drivers side panel that details GVWR/GVAR, interestingly this sticker has OCT/77 on it but the VIN matches the plate which of course IDs the coach as a '78.

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
My coach only has one sticker inside the glovebox detailing tire pressures. There is no build information sticker there. There is a VIN sticker on the drivers side panel that details GVWR/GVAR, interestingly this sticker has OCT/77 on it but the VIN matches the plate which of course IDs the coach as a '78.
The 1978 GMCs probably went into production in August/September 1977, yours was built in October.

The glovebox parts sticker is nice to have, but unfortunately some owners peeled them off and stuck them in a file which didn't make it to you. You might check the under seat compartments, there is often a lot of great paperwork under there!

Here is my parts sticker and the Fed certification sticker. The date code at the top of the parts sticker (010477 in my case) is actually the date GM put the order in their system, it then got produced a few weeks later (in my case a full month later in Feb1977).
IMG_5465 1.jpg
IMG_5468 2.jpg

kentexian

May 17, 2020
That is awesome! Thanks for the great information, I wish mine still had its sticker. I suppose its not unlike the Western/Eastern methods of calulating age. In Asia they calculate based on conception and obviously in the west we calculate based on date of birth.