drips rails & Cleaning crud off

• On Tuesday, September 29th at about 4PM EST GMCMHforum experienced a failed software update. This required us to restore the forum from a backup made early in the day. Any forum activity that occurred during that time window has been lost. We apologize for any inconvenience.

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
Sorry if I missed this somewhere but what do you guys use, chemistry or other to get all of the layers or silicone, tar, crud ect,,, off the drip rails and other roof breaches? Thanks

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Gasoline will soften up and eventually remove silicone. Usually I start with WD-40, then mineral spirits, then gas, then methanol, then paint thinner. Tar coatings I use a MAPP gas torch real fast and hot, get the top smoking, then scrape it with a putty knife. Then gas to clean up the surface, just be careful to be finished with the torch first

Reactions: JodyPackerfan

JodyPackerfan

Feb 2, 2020
Racine, Wisconsin
Gasoline will soften up and eventually remove silicone. Usually I start with WD-40, then mineral spirits, then gas, then methanol, then paint thinner. Tar coatings I use a MAPP gas torch real fast and hot, get the top smoking, then scrape it with a putty knife. Then gas to clean up the surface, just be careful to be finished with the torch first
Thanks for the note - that's very close to what I ended up doing - Cheers - I show the progress in photo in my build thread

Reactions: Detroit_PalmBeach77