CB Antenna Mounts

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Kevin,

My OE roof antenna works great for both AM and FM local stations. I do have the problem of it not fitting in my barn. So, I made a nut to fit the roof mound and bent a piece of 1/16 321SS welding rod to follow the contour of the nearby low profile roof A/C and I still do OK with local broadcast. When we travel, I may go up and put the OE antenna and spring back on, but when we are in "Travel" mode local radio is pretty much a lost cause unless we tune a "Clear Channel" that we can carry for more that an half of a day.

Oh, Before I forget. Clear Channels are all AM and just about exclusively talk radio these days. It wasn't always that way.

Matt

Agoogol

Mar 3, 2020
Centennial CO
Thanks gentlemen. My oem antenna doesnt want to stick up anymore, just wants to lay down. I got the stereo to work front channels by fiddling around a little and stations dont seem to come in very well.

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Thanks gentlemen. My oem antenna doesnt want to stick up anymore, just wants to lay down. I got the stereo to work front channels by fiddling around a little and stations dont seem to come in very well.
Is it bent, or is the spring weak? You definitely need to get it up if you want to get any reception.

johnny

Oct 28, 2019
Depends what year EOM ya got. If the OEM speakers have one wire grounded, replace the whole thing. Bolt a 109" whip on the back bumper and talk.

If it's new enough to have isolated speakers your options are greater. The CB will work best with the whip though. You may want to stabiliize it with a piece of string to something roofward if it sways more than you like.
And I Unit European housing will destructively fit by bending the existing knob/minuting tabs outward to 1 U width. The height of the OEM opening is correct.
Slide the housing in, lock it, and then any 1U size european will fit. Crutchfield and Ebay have lots. Let your pocket be your guide. Beware of poor GPS mapping support

--johnny

johnny

Oct 28, 2019
At one point, someone who sounded reasonable said the characteristic of a quarter wave whip on a vehicle is actually closer to 25 Ohms than 50 and thus you should feed it with two parallel equal runs of 50 Ohm coax. I don't remember every trying this, if you use prebuilt cables and have two, get a couple of tees and see what works best. If you got a field meter and a wattmeter, fat city. Just a field meter will do, measure the transmitted carrier both ways with everthing else being equal. Match the radio to the antenna in each case and see what does best.

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Want a small sort of funny?

When I acquired Chaumière, the installed radio was toast. There were two antenna mounts right above the speaker/light boards. I had to take the speakers down to take out the antenna mounts. When I did, I found that the antenna bases had been grounded to the speaker grounds. Want to bet how long that the radio lasted when he hit the talk button??
Matt

johnny

Oct 28, 2019
Actually if it were an early OEM setup, one side of the speaker >is< grounded. It's poor wiring practice for anything that transmits but in terms of a complete circuit it would work.

--johnny

JSanford

Oct 4, 2019
Sacramento, CA
For closure on the CB topic.

I go the Firestik Model: FG3-648-B. Install was pretty easy, only had to drill a very tiny hole behind the mirror mount to run the wire. Not a lot of CB traffic but still fun to have and period correct!
IMG_6613 1.jpg
IMG_6614 2.jpg
IMG_6615 3.jpg
IMG_5815.jpg

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Did you have to do much to get a Decent SWR on those?
I tried to set one of those up on a friends coach years ago.

Matt