carburetor air scope

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
HI U ALL my 76 pb (now dead ) had an air intake for the carb located at the front upper of the grill'' with a vent hose right to the air cleaner.. it was not hooked up when i bought it ..hooked it up and it made a difference. does one have any info on this setup. thanks larry PB 78/455

JBurt

Oct 8, 2019
Fresno. CA.
Having the scoop hooked up to the carb gives you a cooler air charge to the air cleaner housing than drawing it from the engine compartment.
It also gives a kind of ram air effect thus packing more air in. Sometimes called the poor man's supercharger. ;)

More + Cooler Air = More Power.

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
thanks i am looking for the type of used parts to make this happen. it was impressive on my PB 67 Larry PB 78/455

pvfjr

Oct 4, 2019
Aumsville OR
iirc the intake elbow was from a Jeep Cherokee or something
If anyone can remember this detail, I'd be curious. I'm already without the factory setup, and have a too-tall aftermarket air cleaner. If I'm going to put any effort into it, I'd rather just adopt that setup and get some cool air in there. I know I saw a picture someone had, but I can't remember what vehicle it came from. I do remember it seemed like a perfect option.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Can you make a deep air filter base work?

If anyone can remember this detail, I'd be curious. I'm already without the factory setup, and have a too-tall aftermarket air cleaner. If I'm going to put any effort into it, I'd rather just adopt that setup and get some cool air in there. I know I saw a picture someone had, but I can't remember what vehicle it came from. I do remember it seemed like a perfect option.

pvfjr

Oct 4, 2019
Aumsville OR
This wasn't the application I was thinking of; not a Jeep part, and it's not black. Regardless, I've found a pic of one of those "carb hats" in use on Jim Bounds' site:
1583941442013.png

I don't see any mention of it, or whether there were clearance issues. It also looks like it has an down-turned elbow to escape the engine bay.

MikeB

Oct 26, 2019
Lower Alabama
This wasn't the application I was thinking of; not a Jeep part, and it's not black. Regardless, I've found a pic of one of those "carb hats" in use on Jim Bounds' site:
View attachment 2402

I don't see any mention of it, or whether there were clearance issues. It also looks like it has an down-turned elbow to escape the engine bay.
That’s what mine looks like. It’s on a Howell TBI and goes to a late model truck filter box and then up to a Ragusa scoop in the grill. Not sure how good it works do to the distance air has to travel but seems to be ok and fits well.

Reactions: tmsnyder