Backup Camera plus Engine Monitroing

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

uprooted

Dec 18, 2019
Hilliard
We're shopping around for backup cameras, and also are in the process of deciding which gauges we need and where they will go. It sure would be nice if there was a system that used one screen for images from the backup camera but also for engine stats - Temp, RPM, Oil Pressure, Trans temp, etc.

I found one online but it says it only works with OBDII vehicles. https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Just my opinion, but I think if it's worth having a gauge on it, like temperature, oil pressure, voltage at a minimum, then it's worth having a good quality dedicated gauge that will work no matter what and not depend on a mini computer to calculate and display the values.

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Well, with a GM Throttle Body EFI system with EBL and Winlog-EBL you can get this..... which will accept up to eight additional analog sensors. It runs on a PC, so you might be able to find a camera program to run in another window. As a bonus you get three trip meters. Any background you want.

Capture5.JPG

Last edited:

uprooted

Dec 18, 2019
Hilliard
Well, with a GM Throttle Body EFI system with EBL and Winlog-EBL you can get this..... which will accept up to eight additional analog sensors. It runs on a PC, so you might be able to find a camera program to run in another window. As a bonus you get three trip meters. Any background you want.

View attachment 2453
Thanks for the tip... I wonder if I could hook all of that up without the EFI system (just installed a rebuilt carb)

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA

View attachment 2453
My approach would be to consider reliability and the future caretakers of my coach. I'd want to have analog backup gauges at least for temperature, oil pressure, and odometer. I'd have two screens, one for instruments and various other controls that's locked down (rarely/never updated), probably running Linux, and the other for navigation, music, and other secondary functions, updated continuously, probably based on an Android tablet.

You might have different priorities, and I'll admit that mine have changed over the years. Back in '84-'94 I had a '67 Firebird 400 convertible with almost all the options. I worked at a car stereo store at the time, so I set it up with a great system (JBL, Alpine, Kenwood), cutting panels and metal as required. It was trick, but I wouldn't be so heavy-handed today, particularly if I had an original coach. My coach isn't super-original but I still think twice about irreversible choices and I carefully document/label my work.

JPB

Jan 15, 2020
That Insight setup looks nice but you'd have to come up with an OBDII interface. Not an easy task. I agree with having separate displays for video and gauges. BillVV's setup looks good too but where do you put the laptop? Maybe one of the two-in-one Windows tablets would work better. I've built my own digital gauges using Arduino, Raspberry Pi (Linux) and Elecrow 10.1" display. It's been a challenge getting it all working together. Two of the issues I'm still dealing with are day/night visibility and RFI induced display dropout. RFI is not an issue if I switch from Raspberry Pi to a Laptop but the laptop is way to bulky for my dashboard.

I certainly can't disagree with those who prefer the simplicity and reliability of traditional gauges. There's just no fun in that for me.

JP

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for the tip... I wonder if I could hook all of that up without the EFI system (just installed a rebuilt carb)
No problem... I ran mine on the dining room table before I had the sensors and harness installed in the coach, and then I ran it using just spark control. It outputs coolant temperature, voltage, intake air temperature, manifold absolute temperature (which can be scaled by WinLog software to engine vacuum), miles, and eight 0-5 volt analog input ports.

A Windows tablet works fine - I'm using a Toughbook that has great day/night visibility and can swivel and fold to just a screen, or use as a laptop with keyboard.

Another approach for the arduino/raspberry pi crowd would be to create a serial stream of gauge data and use WinLog to decode and display. You would have to compile the driver using Visual Studio. I can provide more details if anyone wants.

With WinLog, you can create any gauge you want, scale it, rotate it, place it anywhere on the screen, create alarms and play a wave file, digital displays, virtual and calculate points and scaling, etc, etc. You can have as many 'dashes' as you want and scroll through them, create datalogs, graph them, create matricies of recorded values.

JPB

Jan 15, 2020
Bill,
I'm curious about your tach display. How is it interfaced? I see a tach display on the devtechnics web page but no explanation as to how it's implemented. Which of the supported logging devices applies? Are you using a custom device? Same with the speedometer. Rather than tackle these problems I bought a traditional style tachometer and a $25 digital speedometer that displays speed as well as various GPS data. I really like that cheap speedometer.
Thanks, JP

Reactions: jjdebarros

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Ah... the tach uses a pulse from the distributor. I believe the distributor needs to be one set up for electronic spark control, but I could be wrong.... Here is the pertinent circuit from the ECM. That box with the leads is the distributor module. I'd have to do more research to see if the stock HEI distributor could produce that pulse for the ECM..

Capture8.jpg

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Which of the supported logging devices applies? Are you using a custom device? Same with the speedometer.
Yes, the custom device is the GM ECM. Randy Van Winkle and I worked with the DevTechnics developer to create a driver for the 80-90s GM Throttle Body ECM. The driver basically takes the signal from the 'EBL', which is a GM ECM that has been modified by DynamicEFI to add BIN flashing, tuning using TunerPro, and analog input points. There are quite a few folks using this EFI system, with discussions at the GMCMH-EFI Google group.

The output of the EBL is a serial stream that is then picked up by the driver and used as input points to WinLog. There is more information at http://winlog-ebl.org/

The speedometer is implemented using a 'VSS' system from Dakota Digital that attaches to the speedo cable and sends a signal to the VSS input of the stock ECM.

The stock ECM has an input for a narrow band O2 sensor. If the EBL is used, a wide-band sensor can be attached to an analog port and there is a setup for it. Also for a fuel pressure gauge input.

JPB

Jan 15, 2020
That all makes sense. One only needs to look at it from an EFI ECM viewpoint. I still have a Quadrajet.

The "stock" HEI distributor does output a tach signal. If I was ambitious and not otherwise busy I could build a circuit that translated the tach signal into a digital input for the Arduino board. That's not on the agenda right now.

If I did a speedometer it would use a GPS shield mated to the Arduino. I have a DD VSS device but will not use it unless I add cruise control. Several years ago my speedo cable was sent to China for recycling.

Thanks,
JP

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
One of the reasons I pursued WinLog was for the Gauge creation and data logging/graphing features. That's not something I had any interest in coding myself. WinLog has been around for quite awhile but still works on W10. Once I realized that the EBL had some analog inputs, I figured that with those and the EBL data I could fairly easily display quite a number of gauges. Since I was having carb issues anyway, EFI via the EBL seemed like the most direct path. When I found out that the WinLog developer was open to creating a driver for us, the decision was made.

Reactions: jjdebarros

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
The Tach signal from the HEI is at the primary side of the ignition coil that gets pulled to ground and released by the HEI module to create the spark. So it is a switching 12V signal with lots of nasty spikes... not something you want to connect to your 3.3 or 5V microprocessor.
Howell included a small circuit board to buffer the Tach (or points) signal down to 5V pulses using a 7404 hex inverter. I have a schematic buried somewhere on my hard-drive if you are in need of it.