AC / Heat pump replacement

Kevin F

Oct 9, 2019
Hi Guys/gals,
Looking to replace one of the original AC units on our 77 Royale and looking for recommendations on which unit to go with. Our coach has two units and we were thinking of replacing one of them with a heat pump so we can limit the amount of propane usage at night. Any advise on which unit to replace/method and where to buy would be great........

Thanx a bunch

K

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
Hi Guys/gals,
Looking to replace one of the original AC units on our 77 Royale and looking for recommendations on which unit to go with. Our coach has two units and we were thinking of replacing one of them with a heat pump so we can limit the amount of propane usage at night. Any advise on which unit to replace/method and where to buy would be great........

Thanx a bunch

K
Pretty straight forward to replace. You'll have to have a way to lift around 100 lbs off and on to the roof. As far as brand, you have options. Coleman Mach makes 13.5 btu and 15.0 btu. I know Dometic makes heat pumps too. Just be aware that once you get below about 40 degrees, the ability for it to generate heat falls off rapidly. Also, since hot air rises, the heating is not really ideal while sleeping. A/C above and heat from below is really the ideal setup.

Kevin F

Oct 9, 2019
Pretty straight forward to replace. You'll have to have a way to lift around 100 lbs off and on to the roof. As far as brand, you have options. Coleman Mach makes 13.5 btu and 15.0 btu. I know Dometic makes heat pumps too. Just be aware that once you get below about 40 degrees, the ability for it to generate heat falls off rapidly. Also, since hot air rises, the heating is not really ideal while sleeping. A/C above and heat from below is really the ideal setup.
Yeah I know heating from below is preferred but I dont think we'll be doing much camping with temps much below 40 and it would only be used whilst we are sleeping. I plan to keep the original ducted heater active and use it at all other times.

Since it will primarily be used at night looking for something that is preferably as quiet as possible.

Do they pertty much come as a standard size as far as fitting the existing opening? Id rather not have to do major modifications if possible.

Thanx

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
Yeah I know heating from below is preferred but I dont think we'll be doing much camping with temps much below 40 and it would only be used whilst we are sleeping. I plan to keep the original ducted heater active and use it at all other times.

Since it will primarily be used at night looking for something that is preferably as quiet as possible.

Do they pertty much come as a standard size as far as fitting the existing opening? Id rather not have to do major modifications if possible.

Thanx
Yes, they are all designed for the standard 14" opening.