A bit unusual build

• Thank you for being part of this forum. We recently added our 400th registered member. The forum will soon be moved soon to a faster server that should increase performance.

Hal

Oct 4, 2019
I'm in the early stages of a different type of build. This will be a rather slow process as there are a number of unique challenges facing me. I hesitate to even share until further along but a good friend (Wally) thinks some may appreciate watching. Just a warning, it may never come to fruition but the journey should be fun. Hal
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAD36I-yv8Mi8_Dhy42wVrh4pbrhTQCxN4Y

I'm building new rear control arms for the 'project' GMC and have been working on a method to make the brakes work as a reaction arm setup. This sends the braking action straight to the frame instead of the tire/control arm and makes a tremendous difference in stopping distances- nearly drops stopping distance 50% over the stock system. It's been quite a challenge so far...but fun.

Last edited:

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
I'm in the early stages of a different type of build. This will be a rather slow process as there are a number of unique challenges facing me. I hesitate to even share until further along but a good friend (Wally) thinks some may appreciate watching. Just a warning, it may never come to fruition but the journey should be fun. Hal
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAD36I-yv8Mi8_Dhy42wVrh4pbrhTQCxN4Y

I'm building new rear control arms for the 'project' GMC and have been working on a method to make the brakes work as a reaction arm setup. This sends the braking action straight to the frame instead of the tire/control arm and makes a tremendous difference in stopping distances- nearly drops stopping distance 50% over the stock system. It's been quite a challenge so far...but fun.
The link above requires the user to request access.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Yes, the D Max/Allison combo.
This build is like a worm in my brain, I'd love to see it someday after this virus stuff passes. Was trying to think about the rotation and what would be needed to make it move forward instead of backward lol.

How high is your rear bed going to end up?

Hal

Oct 4, 2019
This build is like a worm in my brain, I'd love to see it someday after this virus stuff passes. Was trying to think about the rotation and what would be needed to make it move forward instead of backward lol.

How high is your rear bed going to end up?

The plan is drive the rear wheels at this time. I need to get the motor/trans jigged up with the new frame to check drive line angularity and the final bed height. I know it will be higher than the original but it should be OK. Stretching the coach will permit driving the rear axle rather than the mid but the angles may be an issue. It's a bit like a three D puzzle with moving parts at this juncture.
Hal

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
And a stretch? omg you are a glutton for punishment lol. I thought maybe you were going to drive the middle wheels.

I see your video showing the rear wheel hub and half shaft. Are you planning to use a differential out of an independent rear suspension, rear wheel drive car/truck like a corvette or a newer dodge pickup truck?

Hal

Oct 4, 2019
And a stretch? omg you are a glutton for punishment lol. I thought maybe you were going to drive the middle wheels.

I see your video showing the rear wheel hub and half shaft. Are you planning to use a differential out of an independent rear suspension, rear wheel drive car/truck like a corvette or a newer dodge pickup truck?

I have a 9 3/4" Ford IRS diff that came from a Ford Expedition (LSD,BTW) that I'd like to flip and drive the rear axle. I have gone from looking at the front to looking at the center and now have the rear in my sights. As the front would still be a little light and running 15'+ of drive line and all the tankage issues that it would entail I looked to the rear as a better solution. Besides with 800 ft lbs of tq driving the front it could be a handful. The center position looked like the necessary location because of engine/trans length but by adding a foot or so of length to the rear of the coach I should be able to drive the rear axle. Probably a 2 foot stretch total will permit a queen rear bed with everything tucked under it. The rear axle (arm) is defiantly a better design for a driven member and I'm planning to use the original bogey box and air spring-maybe a quad bag but the same basic design. The shock needs to move a bit but overall it looks doable. Moving the 400+ lb gen set and water and LP tanks should get the rear weight bias within reason.
I'll be using the hub/bearing assembly, rotor, caliper from a Chevy/GMC 1997 ish truck. The 1997 has the ABS sensor built into it which COULD lead to an ABS system if I ever try to go there. I'll have axles built with the 1 ton out board CV spline and the Ford CV spline inboard. The rear bed may be a little tall as the DMax is a fairly tall bugger. Other than going with a dry sump system (big $$$) shortening it much isn't in the cards.
Lots more in the planning but I'm not putting a time limit on the build. It's all fun.
Hal

Last edited:

Hal

Oct 4, 2019
I have a 9 3/4" Ford IRS diff that came from a Ford Expedition (LSD,BTW) that I'd like to flip and drive the rear axle. I have gone from looking at the front to looking at the center and now have the rear in my sights. As the front would still be a little light and running 15'+ of drive line and all the tankage issues that it would entail I looked to the rear as a better solution. Besides with 800 ft lbs of tq driving the front it could be a handful. The center position looked like the necessary location because of engine/trans length but by adding a foot or so of length to the rear of the coach I should be able to drive the rear axle. Probably a 2 foot stretch total will permit a queen rear bed with everything tucked under it. The rear axle (arm) is defiantly a better design for a driven member and I'm planning to use the original bogey box and air spring-maybe a quad bag but the same basic design. The shock needs to move a bit but overall it looks doable. Moving the 400+ lb gen set and water and LP tanks should get the rear weight bias within reason.
I'll be using the hub/bearing assembly, rotor, caliper from a Chevy/GMC 1997 ish truck. The 1997 has the ABS sensor built into it which COULD lead to an ABS system if I ever try to go there. I'll have axles built with the 1 ton out board CV spline and the Ford CV spline inboard. The rear bed may be a little tall as the DMax is a fairly tall bugger. Other than going with a dry sump system (big $$$) shortening it much isn't in the cards.
Lots more in the planning but I'm not putting a time limit on the build. It's all fun.
Hal

Got a little more done if you're interested.

Hal

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Just missing the hub I think in the second video, but I got the first one anyway. It's very cool, a very cool build. Can't wait til the border is open I'd like to stop by and see it in person. You aren't too far away from Buffalo, NY iirc. Cheers

billvv

Oct 3, 2019
Hi Hal,
Here is a photo of the end of the quad bag showing height dimensions. The measurement from the center of the pins to the center of the bags is 13". (visually, the center of the tab for the bag bracket is the center of the bags). Dimension for Hal.jpg