1976 Eleganza II

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Who put a fixed fan on yours? Can you switch it back? On ours the fan clutch hardly ever engages, just on hot days after climbing a hill. I bet your plug wires and ignition module like having that air flow around the engine though, they'll probably last forever.

pvfjr

Oct 3, 2019
Aumsville OR
Who put a fixed fan on yours? Can you switch it back? On ours the fan clutch hardly ever engages, just on hot days after climbing a hill. I bet your plug wires and ignition module like having that air flow around the engine though, they'll probably last forever.
Hard to say who's responsible since it came from an insurance auction in Phoenix, was last known to reside in Florida for last two owners, but had historic Alaska plates on it. She's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, and had had 3 carburetors! My guess is it had a ton of nice upgrades 20 years ago, and has been downhill ever since with very poor maintenance and "remodels". Good bones though. I kinda can't wait to get rid of that fan and get a normal engine cover situation again.

I'll be curious to see where you land with your exhaust decisions. It'd be nice to not have a drone.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Hard to say who's responsible since it came from an insurance auction in Phoenix, was last known to reside in Florida for last two owners, but had historic Alaska plates on it. She's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, and had had 3 carburetors! My guess is it had a ton of nice upgrades 20 years ago, and has been downhill ever since with very poor maintenance and "remodels". Good bones though. I kinda can't wait to get rid of that fan and get a normal engine cover situation again.

I'll be curious to see where you land with your exhaust decisions. It'd be nice to not have a drone.
I'm curious to see what a straight pipe will do, b/c right now with the el-cheapo single muffler it's got a nice bark with what? 20 to 30 feet of straight pipe on it? I don't think that muffler is doing a darn thing except droning at about 2400-2600.

I'll probably hear it from people that it's going to be too loud, but what about the Harley crowd running straight pipes all over the place? Those things are intentionally loud, extremely loud. Apparently loud doesn't matter anymore. When they start pulling those jackalopes over and ticketing them I'll start worrying that my GMC is too loud.

Reactions: pvfjr

LarryW

Oct 14, 2019
Menomonie, WI.
Loud mufflers...straight pipes were what we as teenagers and young adults used to show virility. But then I grew up!! Loud pipes make everyone 1/4mile radius listen to that. About 8--10yrs ago we were in Rocky Mountain National Park. Stopped to enjoy the scenery and serenity. About 5 minutes into our stop, a couple of Harley's entered the park. We heard them coming for the next 5 minutes, and another 5 after they passed us. "Loud pipes save lives" they say. What BS!! Been driving a motorcycle for over 50 yrs and have yet to be in a situation where loud pipes on my bike would have deterred a car from hitting me. My bike is quiet. Accept for a low rumble, so is my motorhome. JMHO Rant off.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
I totally agree, I hate loud pipes. Right now, with a muffler that I believe is doing nothing, it's got a nice bark when climbing hills. It's not that loud. It's not even 1/10th as loud as a HD with straight pipes.

I'm just curious to see what happens with no muffler, I'm thinking the 55-60 mph drone will go away and it won't even be that much louder. I could be wrong.

If it's too loud then I'll do something else, probably install two mufflers to pipe before the Y as the stock arrangement had.

I just can't take the drone, it actually goes from being unable to hear the person in the passenger seat at 60mph, to quiet and pleasant to speak at 70mph. It's a very tight range of drone, must be resonance.

Loud mufflers...straight pipes were what we as teenagers and young adults used to show virility. But then I grew up!! Loud pipes make everyone 1/4mile radius listen to that. About 8--10yrs ago we were in Rocky Mountain National Park. Stopped to enjoy the scenery and serenity. About 5 minutes into our stop, a couple of Harley's entered the park. We heard them coming for the next 5 minutes, and another 5 after they passed us. "Loud pipes save lives" they say. What BS!! Been driving a motorcycle for over 50 yrs and have yet to be in a situation where loud pipes on my bike would have deterred a car from hitting me. My bike is quiet. Accept for a low rumble, so is my motorhome. JMHO Rant off.