12v Air Conditioning

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
I spent last week at the Tampa RV show looking at a lot of new technology. I was impressed by a few things. The first of which is a 12v DC Air Conditioner by Pro Air called the Electra Kool. Coachman is now putting it in their Class B vans, because with the high amp alternators and high capacity lithium batteries, it can be used not only while driving, but also while parked overnight. I was looking at going 48v (still am), but this thing may change my direction.

It is 20,000 btu's in a fairly compact package. It is about the same size as the medium profile Coleman Mach AC units. It is a 2 speed compressor so at night, or when less cooling is needed, it will run in at the lower capacity which reduces the amp draw. The question I have is will a 20,000 btu unit in the middle of the coach cool the entire thing adequately? Two of them would just be overkill, and the humidity would be bad because it wouldn't run frequently enough. Is one enough?

Oh, I almost forgot. It is the quietest roof AC I've ever seen.

ProAirElectra-Kool.jpg

6cuda6

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Ive been toying with the idea for a bit about addind a second AC unit to my coach and through all the forum comments i think a 20k unit would be fine if your well insulated and your not in areas that see 100 degrees or more every day.

We have a stock original coach, 3 dogs and will be traveling into prairy and woodland areas that see 100 degrees and 60% or better humidity so i think the second unit is in order for us but everyone says 1 can do it if you keep the thermal load down to start with.

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
The question I have is will a 20,000 btu unit in the middle of the coach cool the entire thing adequately?

My coach has a single A/C unit in the center. Anywhere we have gone it has no issues cooling the entire coach, however we are in Canada and roam into the northern states. Typical outdoor temperatures hit the low 30's Celcius. My understanding is the second A/C is needed for southern states.

Reactions: JodyPackerfan

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
I live in Texas and will travel in the southern states a lot. I would never try to get away with a single 13.5 or 15.0 btu unit for the entire coach.....but a 20,000 btu has me intrigued.

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
I would want to see the actual power demands before I got too involved. I am very familiar with the power demands of refrigeration systems.

Matt
It is right there on the flyer. 100 amps at 100 degrees F and it goes down as the ambient temp decreases. According to their tech people, this is with the compressor on the “full” capacity and not the reduced. The Coachman reps said they are seeing better than that.

For example, I got in one of the motorhomes with the system running on full blast on an 80° day, and it was drawing 68 amps.

lilmyk

Oct 16, 2019
What is the cost of this system?
My GMC does not have dash air, and this would be an intriguing option to install and run while driving.

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
What is the cost of this system?
My GMC does not have dash air, and this would be an intriguing option to install and run while driving.
About $2500. The issue for most is the alternator. I have a very large upgraded alternator (and looking at even bigger). This AC unit draws more amps than a stock or even slightly upgraded alternator can provide.

lilmyk

Oct 16, 2019
The bonus of not having dash air, is that I currently have 2 alternators mounted on my motor.
I only have one hooked up, but could run both with some wiring modifications.

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
The bonus of not having dash air, is that I currently have 2 alternators mounted on my motor.
I only have one hooked up, but could run both with some wiring modifications.
You know, for what I've spent on my Vintage Air dash air project, I could have run two of these and a second alternator too.

lilmyk

Oct 16, 2019
The passenger side is a 27si, but the driver's side is only a 12si.
It came from the factory with passenger side only alternator.
I have been trying to find a set of driver's side alternator brackets for a 27si, but have not had any luck.
I did find brackets for a 10si/12si so that is what I am using at the moment.

LQQKatJon

When it comes to keeping cool, high BTU’s is an easy fix.

there is a major difference i how different coach’s stay cool. Almost impossible to compare.

insulation, furnishings, window coverings, paint colors,
All vary. I think if you have ceramic tint on windows, the right color paint,
Good insulation, and such, you could get by with a small A/C.
But park in the sun with a dark coach with no window coverings and 2 30k btu A/C’s wont keep up.

Mike Perez

Oct 2, 2019
Mike,
I have 2 AC’s on my 78. They are both 15k btu’s. I only run one at a time here in Texas, and it is plenty.
Scott.
That's exactly why I think a single 20K btu unit with some good tint and few insulation upgrades should be good enough.

Justin Brady

Oct 4, 2019
Bell Buckle TN
www.thegmcrv.com
I think 20K would do just fine.
I have 2 13K's an I find that I run both when it's 100+ but only really for airflow, the front one doesn't really reach the back and vice versa. That 20K with some ducting would be ideal IMO.

I think doing it again I'd duct the AC